Tuesday 5 October 2010

Fish Molee

My brother , younger to me by 3 years, buzzed me on g talk the other day saying he was super bored with making the usual rice and chicken curry for dinner every day. He somehow ended up on my blog and that too on my fish molee post and asked me for clear cut directions on how to make it. I asked him to read on, to which he said, 'I don't have time to sit and read your mindless banter' ...ha so much for a lil blog promotion. I cant blame him, my mom and dad think I steal pics off the Internet and post them on my blog. The reason they think so is because....last year when I went home everyone asked me to make this and that off my blog and I refused to budge...I wouldn't even move a spoon, leave alone cook. Now why would you want to slog it out in the bloody kitchen when you are on vacation?????? And then finally I moved my butt and decided to make Tiramisu for a party. Thanks to the humid weather, the mix wasn't holding well and I threw my hands up in the air and said...sorry, I can cook only in London....Amul ice cream is a good dessert idea you know! Well, that kinda sealed the deal.
So any way, coming back to the recipe... I tried to explain how to make the molee after reading the nonsense I wrote about a year back, but I don't think I did that good a job. He was lost at, 'do you get King Fish there?' I felt confused, so I imagine he did too. We had guests over last weekend and I thought, why not make the fish curry and serve with some bread, just to convince myself I didn't do that bad a job. To my luck, I found Tilapia fillets at the local groceries and yup, this time the curry tasted a wee bit different, but the colour and consistency remained the same from what I remember. I wonder what Im doing wrong...My guests said they liked it..I guess I'll just have to take their word for it eh?
...moving on to the pics...recipe has been recreated from my first trial, just that I didn't do any tadka.
BTW does any one know why this curry is called Fish Molee/ Molly??? Was it named after a mallu or Kottayam kochamma called Molly??? Sorreee..stale joke (although I like to bug Ro saying so)

26 comments:

Umm Mymoonah said...

Nice post and nice curry too.

Sunitha said...

Looks good.. I love fish molee with bread.

GB said...

Nisha, i have to agree, it is so hard to cook in someone else's kitchen. and why the hell should I? I'm on vacation dammit! (sorry for the foul language--feel free to delete the comment) Well as you can see, you've touched a nerve here....heeeheee!

I still don't know what to lok for in fish (I'm a punju!) and have no idea what to buy. Tilapia? catfish? salmon? how do I know its fresh. Which shrimp are good. Please answer my questions oh food blog goddess!

Satrupa said...

Enjoyed reading ur write up ..... I could step into your shoes n visualize the entire thing :)Like always the clicks look darn gorgeous.

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
Satrupa

http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I also seal the deal with amul or hagan daaz ice cream 90% of the time :) Love the green chillies sitting on top!

Suji said...

Kollam tto...I love coconut milk based curries too...Nisha, i still remember having soft stamed bread with karimeen molee for christian weddings....

Prerna@IndianSimmer said...

Looks Lovely!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious colourful fish

Pushpa said...

Delicious fish molee,looks absolutely stunning...

Monet said...

This looks so delicious...and I think it is so funny that your family thinks you steal the pictures to put on your blog. Smile. Aren't families hilarious? I would be so happy if you served me a bowl of this soup. Thank you for sharing!

Jaisy James said...

wow looks yummy n creamy wowww perfect for bread and appam

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

I remember watching a program on Travel and living where they said that meen moilly is named after a girl who wanted to serve a less spicy version of South Indian fish curry to westerns. not sure whether its true but am drooling here at your version.the gravy is simply drool worthy.

notyet100 said...

looks so yum,..

vrinda said...

My fav fish curry...i like it with kuthari choru,yummmmmmmmm

Akila said...

simply superb..... heard before but never tried... but by seeing your picture definitely will try it....

http://akilaskitchen.blogspot.com

Regards,
Akila

Satya said...

this curry looks delicious

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your writeup, Nisha..Drooling over your fish moli pics! Love it with appam and bread..

Priya Suresh said...

Woww wat a beautiful looking fish molee..curry looks super tempting!

aipi said...

Nice little writeup... enjoyed the read..fish molee looks delicious..neat pics!


US Masala

Suja Manoj said...

Creamy and yummy fish molee..simply love the combo,bread and molee

Sushma Mallya said...

It looks very rich,smooth and creamy...

PJ said...

yeah, its the same with me too. my family never believes i can cook so much just because whenever they are around, laziness seems to engulf me :) molee seems delicious.

Unknown said...

Loving your first pic, that looks super creamy and yum! i always love when chilly or veggies are cut with an angle than just straight :P

Nitha said...

Thats so creamy and delicious..

Afsal_ Alif said...

Seeing such a creamy Molly for the first time....hope u hve added lotz of Corn flour for this dish afterall u have'nt given the recipe 4 this.

turmericnspice said...

love your blog...lot of hardwork and AWESOME clicks!! u rock!!